Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

10th Day in NYC




Tonight is one of those rare sleepless nights for me.
I usually have NO problem sleeping.
Tossing back and forth, I decided to start up a blog tonight...!




-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Cut off as I am, it is inevitable that I should sometimes feel like a shadow walking in a shadowy world. When this happens I ask to be taken to New York City. Always I return home weary but I have the comforting certainty that mankind is real and I myself am not a dream."

- Helen Keller


New York City never sleeps and it gave me no time to breathe, but to start.
It's already my 10th Day in NYC.
I've spent about 50 hours at my internships, 30 hours in the subways and buses, and a bit of cash to buy a metro card
(30 days-unlimited), groceries (H-Mart), bagles and pizza (about $1-3 each), a jacket (70% off), and a haircut (by a Japanese guy).



http://www.urbanrail.net/am/nyrk/nyc-map-centre.gif

http://weblogs.amny.com/entertainment/urbanite/blog/07metrocard.1.large.jpg
*** FYI: If you ever lose your unlimited MetroCard, you can call 212-METROCARD (212-638-7622) for the refund.






Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, NY


About 7 years ago, I was at Pratt Institute participating a pre-college summer program for 6 weeks. I am back on Willoughby Avenue, Brooklyn, NY (right next to Pratt), renting an apartment from a NYC-based artist Ju Young Ban whom I met at the Vermont Studio Center. One event, one connection leads to another, I am quite appalled to find myself here in NYC, barely breathing out each day trying to find my way in the midst of people, subways, maps, confusion, and visual and internal overload. I have a studio, a room, two internships, and a few friends here to begin with, and that's a wonderful start, isn't it? By the way, Johana Moscoso (aka Miss Fix-it) and Tina Han also were here in NYC last week. A big shout out to the sculpture folks at SCAD-ATL!!!








Blooming ,Ink on paper, 40 x 40 inch, 2008 (Ju Young Ban)



I like where I am staying... this past Saturday morning, I finally had some time to walk around the neighborhood. I was excited to find a good grocery market to buy some bread, milk, some fruits, and a conditioner. Beautiful trees and buildings, and the way people are interlaced here in NYC is quite intriguing, nothing like Atlanta.











Willoughby Avenue, Brooklyn, NY
















One of my internships is with Performa.
PERFORMA is a non-profit interdisciplinary arts organization committed to the research, development, and presentation of performance by visual artists from around the world.
This coming November 09, Performa will be putting their 3rd biennial for contemporary performance arts around the city of New York. It's interesting to see how this non-profit organization functions to execute an ambitious and daring art event, pulling a vast number of venues, funds, and artist projects togehter. So check out the website and join the mailing list.

Last night, the Performa team went to co-host the pecha-kucha night at
Le Poisson Rouge. The artists, architects, designers, bloggers... presented their work and ideas with 20 images (each presentation 6 min. 40 sec.). The presenters were:

Daniel Perlin
Viraphon
Eric Sanderson
Mannahatta Project
Allegra Burnette
MoMA
Tina Roth Eisenberg
Swissmiss
Jonathan Harris
Number 27
Jay Parkinson
Hello Health
Dickson Despommier
Vertical Farm
Glen Cummings
MTWTF
Eviana Hartman
Bodkin Brooklyn
Dan Fogelson
Emeco
Deborah Fisher
21st Century Plowshare
Paul D. Miller
DJ Spooky

It was an exciting night with laughter and some shout-outs, and the event facilitated a valuable exchange of ideas and energy amongst creative minds... and we got to promote Performa's upcoming biennial!







Well, I think I can sleep now. Zzzz....



No comments:

Post a Comment