Search This Blog

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Happy Studio, Happy Seeing







I spend about 3 hours/day in the train/bus here. It's quite refreshing to have a train slip out of a tunnel to breathe in the cold air. On my way to a friend's place in the Park Slope, I heard a young violinist's music on F train. 





Well! Indeed Happy Studio!
The Studio Workspace is located on West 39th street, close by The New York Times and the Port Authority. I was able to get off work a bit early to go to studio again last night.
Masumi (last quarter resident) left me a thoughtful postcard and some Japanese goodies.

I am starting to think about a project/performance I could commit this quarter in the space...

space
shredding
reconstruction
private
blankets
.
.
.




          

Some remnants of the past residents - Yi-Shin and Masumi

The studio is a part of Elizabeth Foundation of the Arts, and there is efa project space on the 2nd floor. Current show is called Post Memory: A collection of Makeshift Monuments, curated by Yaelle Amir. The show explores alternative ways in memorializing a mediated history. Multiple visual and spacial outcomes of remembrance and commemoration speaks of people and events that have faded from "collective consciousness." There I saw Bradley McCallum and Jacqueline Tarry's installation The Evidence of Things Not Seen (2008), which was exhibited in Atlanta at Kiang Gallery.





Tina and I visited a few galleries and I came across Shen Shaomin's trees at Eli Klein Fine Art gallery. Strangely jointed... inhabited in constraint, brutally composed yet eerily beautiful .

Bosani-No.38, 2007 (Shen Shaomin)










Leandro Erlich: Swimming Pool, 2008 






Happy studio, Happy seeing!



1 comment:

  1. In the fall of 2008, at P.S.1 Contemporary Art Center, I was struck by a Leandro Erlich piece. There weren’t a lot of people. I was the only one in that installation. It was on the first floor. I stood on a reddish-tone wooden floor that surrounded a swimming pool.
    The experience over and inside the pool was different, but it had magic and psychological features. I came back to the lit room (inside the pool) just to experience how it felt to be under water or just to imaging so.

    Keep posting your experience!!!

    ReplyDelete