Search This Blog

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Mother as my toughest critic

photo 1

photo 2

Before I went to work this morning, my mother said, "Well, somebody is very colorful!" (photo 1) "Is it... too colorful?" "I don't know... you artists must have a different taste," she snorted. Since I have an office job, I thought perhaps toning down the colors would be a good idea. So, I changed (photo 2) and said, "better?" "Yes, much better." Hah... -_+

I get my small portion of bluntness from my mom. She will tell you what is on her mind. And sometimes, she is my toughest critic. After my Ox-Bow residency (shout out to all the Ox-Bow resident artists!!!), I showed her some of my small paintings (photo 3). My mother's comment was, "you must had been bored out of your mind!" -_-;;;

At first, I laughed with her, but I thought about it a little more... if this doesn't make sense to her, why is that?


photo 3


Today, my mom and I moved some of my studio stuff up in the garage (photo 4). We are going to start cutting flowers again in all its seriousness and we thought it would be better to do in a garage where we can actually breathe in fresh air. She and I started talking about my upcoming group show and a project, and her comments were valuable. I feel extremely fortunate to have my parents involved in my work... and them being the toughest critics of mine.



photo 4

No comments:

Post a Comment