Search This Blog

Friday, October 15, 2010

Momentary Performance, Yukari at whitespace, gallery talks...

"So what are you doing on Saturday at Piedmont Park?" my friend asked me during our lunch break.

"Uhm, it's like... this artist put these scripts together for performers to perform at different locations in Atlanta. He would put something like... 'two girls are eating sandwiches and gossiping about their boyfriends' and you would see exactly that. Mundane moments like that in daily life are actually put in vinyl texts and as you go about your daily routine, you would stumble upon this 'living picture.' Does that make sense...?"

"Sort of."

Exactly.
I often find it challenging, as an artist, to explain conceptual bases of art making and practice to non-artist friends. But I tried, and I think I am getting better at it. And it is important for artists to articulate such matters to general audience. My friends are also getting better at understanding art that is beyond the pictures on the wall and Van Gogh (although I still love his paintings.).


So last week was my first week of Momentary Performance at the Piedmont Park.
Tomorrow, same place and same time. 

Here are some photos. Some people came to talk to me and I did get some phone calls which I did not answer.







Tonight, my good friend Yukari Umekawa is having an opening reception at the WhiteSpace gallery in Atlanta. I love having artist friends who are not only talented, but also truly genuine and kind-hearted. Yukari is one of them. She studied Photography at the Savannah College of Art and Design and currently resides in Osaka, Japan.


Yukari's ditial pinhole imgaes



And tomorrow, Get This! Gallery and Saltwork Gallery will have gallery talks. Come and check them out. I will be there as well.



Happy Friday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment