Search This Blog

Thursday, December 16, 2010

11 - snow and poetry

 




Dust of Snow
 gif
by Robert Frost (1923)

The way a crow
Shook down on me
The dust of snow
From a hemlock tree

Has given my heart
A change of mood
And saved some part
Of a day I had rued.



Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
 gif
by Robert Frost (1923)

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound’s the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

I remember Robert Frost's poems touching something in my heart when English was still quite new to me. Here, I am meeting many writers and getting a sense of how they may see the world. And... it's quite beautiful - their sensibility with words, syntax, and plots in describing life. I wanted to be a writer when I was in Korea - as a young girl, I would pull my hair out writing a poem about a dandelion. I wonder... if I could still dream of becoming a writer.

- G.

4 comments:

  1. I love the title of this post! :) thanks for share'n!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...It was snowing
    And it was going to snow...."


    Wallace Stevens - Thirteen Way of Looking at a Blackbird

    -jb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments. It now has stopped snowing and snow on the ground is beautifully and slowly melting under the cold sun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember this poem from when I was a child in library session. :D

    ReplyDelete