Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

In the Garden -

I come to the garden alone while the dew is still on the roses,
And the voices I hear falling on my ear, the Son of God discloses.
And he walks with me and he talks with me, and he tells me I am his own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there, non other has ever known.
- In the Garden, C. Austin Miles, 1913


Historically, the immemorial flowers were used to initially control the obnoxious odor of body decomposition. The fragrance of the flowers would hide the decomposing body smell long enough for the funeral ritual to take place. There was a role of the Flower Lady in Mid Western funeral practices. The Flower Ladies, usually in a group of six, would carry the flowers and assist in setting up the flowers at the cemetery. They were usually close friends of the family and considered as an honor to be chosen as the flower ladies for a funeral.

Fascinating!

No comments:

Post a Comment