Search This Blog

Friday, January 21, 2011

Late Night Thoughts - placeness, blogging and twittering, Lenox project, writing, this weekend . . .


Studio calendar to keep track with schedule and number of cups of shredded flowers

So I'm up late tonight - with so many thoughts on my mind. To process my mind, I turned myself to blogging - oh dear. Where did that good, old writing on a journal go?

I, in fact, have been thinking a lot more about my blogging. As it is my resolution to polish up my blog this year, I also want to get more serious about writing as well. English is my second language, so I know my writing is lacking in its correct grammar. I also would like to see if I could improve my creative/critical writing, considering myself becoming a consistent art blogger and a commentator. Hey, I wanted to be a writer as a young girl, and if not a serious author, I still could be an interesting blogger at least!

This thing called 'social media' is changing the way artists represent themselves. We definitely have more control over our representation and persona. And this blogging activity allows an artist to process happenings around her, promote art events in community, share about art making with others, and critically develop an artistic voice that is valuable to the community as well as to other artists. 


According the website Zitzsolution, "Facebook has over 250 million users globally. On an average, 70-100 tweets happen by the second. An average user on Facebook has 120 friends." Now, that's mind boggling for real.  
I haven't quite figured out twittering thing yet. Well, I do not have a smart phone, so that explains much of it. Yet, I just found out people check out my blog via tweeter more than I expected! So I just changed the background of my twitter, so that it looks nice. Check it out and follow me! http://twitter.com/#!/gyunhur 
One Place after Another: Site-Specific Art and Locational Identity
 
Placeness - is also on my mind. I want to revisit Miwon Kwon's One Place After Another.  I will do a post about her writings and thoughts on placeness and site-specificity, which will become essential in developing my conceptual approach to the Lenox project with FLUX in March. Here is great a quote regarding issues of an individual's contextualized identity in community/place. http://www4.ncsu.edu/~sttwn/vzc.htm
How is it possible to throw light on individual and community fragmentation: of the loss of the traditional definitions of identity, community/"place" and "site"? How do we frame our identity, whether as the exoticized subjects of the community where site-specific art is created, or as the exoticized persona of the interventionist artist, and who is left out?
Korean journalist Ms. Kim called me this morning to ask me about my artist talk at the Hudgens this Saturday. She asked me what I would be presenting during the talk and if it would be all right for Korean speaking audience to come. I said, "of course!" To her question, "what would you like for people to get out of your talk?" I mentioned how I would like Korean immigrants like my parents and myself to have an opened mind and curiosity about contemporary art. They should not feel intimated or distant just because it is unfamiliar. Ultimately, where my art stems from isn't too different from their life stories. I hope they can somehow relate to my story and artwork.


* * *
Lenox project is coming up in a few weeks.  I had a meeting with FLUX and Lloyd (Get This! Gallery director) and I am getting excited about this ambitious project. There will be a lot of logistics to figure out, but it's an incredible challenge and opportunity for me. I will be posting about 'volunteering' and 'installation process,' so stay tune.

FLUX projects are funding a few more artist projects this year. To check out more about their projects, go to http://www.fluxprojects.org/projects.html.


To Do List for me this weekend:

Friday, Jan. 21, 2011
Movers & Shakers: MOCA GA Salutes the Rising Stars of the Georgia Arts Scene
Exhibition Dates: January 22 - March 19, 2011
Opening reception: 6:30-7:30pm
 
Saturday, Jan. 22, 2011
Artist Talk at 11AM
For direction, go to http://thehudgens.org/?page_id
Life Iconic
Print show curated by: Jiha Moon
January 22 - March 05, 2011
Opening reception: 7-10pm

Iranian Film Today
Women Without Men
8 pm / To buy tickets, go to
   
Maybe I will see you around this weekend! Just don't judge me if you see dark circles under my eyes and say 'hi.' -_-;



- G.

3 comments:

  1. Great to hear that you're redefining your blow. I think you'll have fun with it. You will get to satisfy your writer's itch, and I know your critique on the arts and life in Atlanta will serve the community well. Oh, and just an FYI, your Twitter link is broken. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *blog, not blow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your words! Let me adjust the twitter link this afternoon.

    Encouraged,
    Gyun

    ReplyDelete