Search This Blog

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Installation day 3

My parents and I have been talking a lot about my (our) work and I told them today about Cristo and Jeanne-Claude's works. They have been asking me questions to understand more about contemporary installation art and why that is such an important part of art world and why people would care... so I showed them some images of Cristo and Jeanne-Claude's works and explained how people responded. My parents looked at the images carefully and nodded... I think something clicked with them tonight. My dad told me that I should build a house one day for my installation, then he could help me and he would enjoy it a lot more, too. 




My installation process usually takes a few days if not a week, depending on a scale. Today was our third full day of working on the installation, and I love it. My parents are becoming so accurate and sensitive with their hands and eyes. In fact, they are better at the floor installation than I am. They are able to decipher and make decisions now about the floor, so I could concentrate on the wall painting.

So we had an amazing lunch with Korean Instant Ramen Noodles and cold rice. The Hudgens Art Center has a beautiful court yard with a little pond and trees... it felt like having a picnic.

Later today, Mrs. Choe Rhee (she teaches ceramics to Koreans at the Hudgens) and her husband stopped by to help. In fact, their son was one of my spine doctors I saw a few months ago at the Emory Orthopedics! What a small world. Mrs. and Mr. Rhee were so gracious and generous in their spirits and time. Mr. Rhee studied school administration at the University of Missouri (?) in 1960s (oh wow!!!) and immigrated to California in late 1970s to work at the government. They're retired now, and moved to Atlanta about 8 years ago with their son's family. Thank you, Mrs. and Mr. Rhee!



Lunch time
Mrs. Choe Rhee






4 comments:

  1. They got so much done - I love your parents! Your dad can help me build a porch, too. That's kinda like a house. I'll trade you my mom for your dad on Friday's install. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great idea! My dad is going to be excited to see your porch being built. I'll let him know! See you soon, Hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the floor looks great, Gyun! I will be stopping by on Sat. to take some photos. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll see you soon, Jiha! I love looking at your Fan painting with Seck-dong colors with my floor installation from afar. They look great. =)

    ReplyDelete