Search This Blog

Thursday, January 20, 2011

"Movers & Shakers" Installation


"mover and shaker"
: a person who wields power and influence
(www.thefreedictionary.com/mover+and+shaker)

I have been installing at The Museum of Contemporary Art of Georgia this week for the group show Movers & Shakers: MOCA GA Salutes the Rising Starts of the Georgia Arts Scene (what a grand title! -_- ). It has been challenging since I have been installing by myself for a few days. It is quite solitary, yet not as fun, and I actually miss my parents' presence on the site. Wall painting has been tedious and time-consuming, but I am excited about the idea of 'altering' the space with colors. Wall painting, floor installation, and a light box... they all come together as one piece, and I hope that this is a beginning of a new series that explores a notion of 'unfolding of the blanket' and 'underneath warmth of the blanket.'

Scott Belville's studio
My former professor Scott Belville's having his solo exhibition Trust the same night at MOCA GA. What a great opportunity for me to see him and his works again! He is a soft-spoken, gentle person, and his renderings and narratives of his figures are noteworthy. He spends a lot of time in Cortona, Italy to teach for University of Georgia Study Broad Program. Influences of Italian Renaissance paintings are evident in his works.

Ting Ying stopped by to install her sculpture (rice house, it looks beautiful!) and helped me paint. We went out for a dinner and chatted. Good friends are always a treat! We talked about graduate school, our fiends, studio, Black Swan, other friends... 

I hope to see you all there!

The Museum of Contemporary Art of Georgia
Movers & Shakers: MOCA GA Salutes the Rising Starts of the Georgia Arts Scene
exhibition dates: January 22 - March 19, 2011
opening reception: Friday, January 21st, 6:30 - 8:30pm



- G.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment