Search This Blog

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Best of 2010

So I'm running a bit behind on this posting, but there is no shame!
Here is a list of my best experiences of 2010 (although my selections are quite limited and biased!) and next post will be about a few things I am looking forward to in 2011.

Best of 2010

1. Get This! Gallery and the Hudgens

My first solo show Repose with Get This! Gallery opened up an array of opportunities for me as a young artist. Lloyd has become a great partner as well as a mentor in my career, and of course, the Hudgens brought so much resources and support for my work. Working in both spaces was incredible. Looking forward to working with them in upcoming months and years!

Repose installation in progress, Get This! Gallery

She Prays Happiness installation in progress, The Hudgens Center for the Arts

2. Ox-Bow Artist-in-Residence Program

It rocked! I met an amazing group of artists who were inspiring, genuine, and fun. Michigan Lake was beautiful and swimming and biking around in a beautiful, small Michigan town made me healthier. I will not forget our crazy dance parties, critiques, FOOD and DESSERTS (oh goodness...), fire pit nights, and some of exciting works I did up there. You can apply to its artist residency for summer and fall. Check out http://www.ox-bow.org/experience/residencies/artist-residencies. Deadline May 14, 2011 for fall residency.




3. Itzhack Perlman's Mozart and Dvořák

Itzhack Perlman
Perlman conducted and played a trio of jewels by Mozart and Dvořák’s “New World” Symphony at the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra in November 2010. It was the best classical music concert I've been to (I haven't been to many yet) and I now have gained a new appreciation towards classical music concert. Perlman's way of conducting, his violin playing, and DVOŘÁK: Symphony No. 9 oboe playing... I'll never forget. The audience clapped for about 20 minutes, still in awe of its performance, not wanting to leave. Inspirations come from so many different things... as I was watching the orchestra executing such an intricate music in layers, I was moved in indescribable ways and was led to think about scales and process of my work as well.
To check out upcoming Atlanta Symphony Orchestra concerts in 2011, go to http://www.atlantasymphony.org/Calendar.aspx.

4. The Hysterial Alphabet performance at Emory



Out of art happenings I attended this past year, this performance piece was one that I could chew on the most and felt a strange stir in me afterward. Out of curiosity and spontaneity, I went and I am so glad I went to go see it (I think there is a necessary urgency and a need to have a gut to follow that instinct.). Terri Kapsali's interpretation of women in hysteria was strangely beautiful and captivating.

5. Marina Abramović: The Artist Is Present at MoMA

No, I did not get to see her performance and re-performance pieces. Yet this ambitious scale of Marina Abramovic's performance retrospective at MoMA stirred so many discussions about performance art in general. Everyone was talking about it. It 'legitimized' existence of performing bodies within white walls of art institution by having MoMA hosting such a retrospective of Abramovic's works. And I believe people are able to understand and reference performance art in a better context. Even at the Virginia Center for the Creative Arts, we talked about her performance over dinner; "you are from NYC? Did you get to see Marina's performance then?" "Oh, yes... it was so amazing." Such a stir trickled down to Atlanta as well. Atlanta Contemporary Art Center held a video screening of Marina Abramovic's 7 Easy Pieces and its Artistic Director Stuart Horodner facilitated a wonderful discussion about aura of performance, its identity within art institution, what inspires to do such a piece that tests one's physical limits... Shana Robin's Supernatural Conductor at the Atlanta Contemporary Art Center made everyone in Atlanta to be excited about performance art. Along with that wave and excitement, I also did a experimental, 7 hours long performance Thousand Kisses, In My Living Room.

Marina Abramovic, Artist is Present

Shana Robbin, Supernatural Conductor

Gyun Hur, Thousand Kisses, In My Living Room

6. Getting a GPS

I got a GPS from a friend as a gift this year and this is going to change my life! As you know, Atlanta is a driving city, and I would literally print pages to find different galleries, coffee shops, flower shops, and such around the city... maneuvering around the city with pages of paper from google. Oh, I now can listen to "Daniel" and just follow his lead!

Daniel

7. Family and friends

What would I have done without my family and friends this past year? In my preparation of a few installations, my family and friends became so committed with me. I owe them so much. In the midst of difficult times with my health issue earlier this year, family and friends were there to encourage and support me as well. So good to have parents to cut flowers with, a dog I can cuddle with, and friends to hang out with... thank you thank you, everyone.





So here comes 2011!!!


- G.

2 comments:

  1. Will you be in Atlanta in 2011? Great job with your website. What a wonderful way to extend your artistry via writing. You make this English major proud. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mei! We've been phone tagging over this weekend. I'll definitely be here in 2011. =) I've been enjoying blogging - it's fun. I thought of you as I was realizing a need of help in my English. Haha. Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete