Search This Blog

Thursday, September 23, 2010

18

Nightmares are scary. I had a nightmare where I could not escape and wake up from my dream. I thought I could never return to my own reality. A weird drawback from watching Inception.

Last night after studio, I saw three humongous (that's right, Oli!) deers standing, staring at me... it was about 2:30AM and very dark. I gasped and quietly turned around to take a different route to my room. That was another scary moment.

.
.


Visiting other artists' studio can be so nurturing and inspiring. That's what I did today.
Olivia is leaving tomorrow, so she was working hard today. Jojo talked about being patient, not trying to rush and succeed as a young artist. And I would like to introduce you another artist, Sam.
 

Olivia's studio
Jojo's Studio
Samantha's Studio
Samantha's studio
Samantha
Interaction of Color and Shape 3 and 4, paper glued to the wall
Happiness by the Pool, acrylic on handwoven textile
Zebra 1, acrylic on handwoven textile
Zebra 1 (detail)
Zebra 3, acrylic on handwoven textile



Samantha's paintings made me to realize an endless potential of pattern making and color painting. She studied textile at Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) and worked as a textile designer for a few years. Then she recently completed her MFA in painting at School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC). Sam's paintings integrate a handwoven textile work and painting, therefore, often creating an interesting tension in perception. 


To view more images of her work, go to http://samanthabittman.com. 

 Oh, and Happy First day of Fall!





No comments:

Post a Comment